AppearanceMary is taller than Yume and Shihoru, has pale skin with navy blue hair and blue eyes. In battle, she wears the common Priest's outfit.
Her initial standoff behavior and her insistence to decide by herself when or not to heal injured party members has made her very unpopular with previous groups that she joined before Haruhiro's.
Later it is revealed that she was quite the contrary, being the cheerful and mood-maker of her first party. It is shown that the party was doing very well. Unfortunately being over-confident, the party dived too deep into an excursion and resulted in Mary running out of magical spells to heal her party members. The tragedy scarred her, leading to her questioning her own worth as a Priest.
Life Prior to Grimgar
Mary loved her father and often spent a lot of time with him with recording cameras. He was described as a calm person with sleepy eyes. His death from a car accident shocked Mary and her mother gravely. Mary viewed her father with much love and high esteem; she rewatched videos of her time with him, bitter as to why she never thought of having him in the recordings. His absence led her to be aloof in life and unsure of her own life choices.
After Manato's death, Mary joins the team as the priest. She's cold and, unlike Manato, refuses to heal some of the party's smaller wounds. She keeps her distance from the group ignoring their constant invitations.
Haruhiro and his team later learn why Mary doesn't immediately heal everyone. As the priest of another team back when she was starting out, Mary was much like Manato and kept her party confident. She smiled more often and healed every injury no matter how small. Because of her support, her team became overconfident and encountered a kobold called Deathspots while they were in the mines. Her magic ran out and she was dragged away by Hayashi, leaving her other three teammates for dead.
With their hunting grounds deemed too dangerous for now, Haruhiro brings up the topic of the mines where kobolds, dog-like monsters, roam. Mary still feels the pain of her failure there but decides to go along with the team. They slowly build their confidence and split the kobolds up into groups with the worker kobolds being the weakest.
After a while, they venture deeper inside and find the reanimated bodies of Mary's teammates. Mary, knowing that they would be undead since they weren't properly buried by the church, puts them to rest with the help of team Haruhiro.
Ranta is separated from the group when they try to escape the mines.
As they try to escape, they come across Death Spots, the kobold who wiped out three of Mary's team members. She, along with everyone else on the team, is ordered by Haruhiro to retreat as he holds back the monster. Mary is dragged out by the others as she watches Haruhiro face Death Spots.
Mary is seen again when Haruhiro awakes, grateful to him for avenging her teammates and happy he's alive.
She is briefly mentioned in a discussion between the boys as they comment on which girl they would go for in the group. Moguzo, while he doesn't state he likes Mary, he says he is conscious of her because of one of her earlier statements when she claimed she preferred someone like Moguzo.
When Haruhiro brings up the topic of the order, Mary is reluctant to make a choice. Haruhiro gives the group a day to decide. When the time for the vote comes, she, along with everyone else, is shocked by Haruhiro's decision to join the invasion but doesn't protest.
Team Haruhiro is assigned ladder duty along with Choko's party. During fights with orcs, she stands by Shihoru and protects her from harm while casting light of protection on the team.
They easily break into the fort and things seem to be going their way. Haruhiro makes the call to head up the tower and Mary and the others follow. They assist Team Renji in a fight against multiple orcs. They win and head back downstairs after hearing a commotion to find Zoran Zeshuu and his orc guard slaughtering the other volunteer soldiers too tired to go up the tower.
The team has difficulty fighting the stronger orcs and retreat upstairs. Haruhiro promises to not let any of them die and Mary, along with the others, tells him that she trusts and believes in him. Tired but with the resolve to survive, they return to help the volunteer soldiers. Renji fights Zoran Zeshuu one on one until the Wild Angels and Moguzo reinforce him.
Mary heals Renji on Haruhiro's orders. Around this time, Mary heals some other volunteers, including Mr. Tall.
Zoran Zeshuu is defeated and Mary helps Haruhiro stand. They both watch as Moguzo collapses.
Mary blames herself for Moguzo's death as her spell, 'Light of Protection' wore off during the battle and she did not recast it. Mary goes around the town of Alterna and drinks until she can barely stand. With her is a random man who, taking advantage of her drunken and depressed state, attempts to rape her. He easily overpowers her, throwing her to the ground, and begins to undress her. Mary is saved just in time by another volunteer soldier, Kuzaku, one of the people she helped saved in the attack on the fort.
She thanks him for saving her and leaves. In her thoughts, she believes that if she had been defiled by the man, she would have been satisfied because she failed as a priest. However, she remembers the man's touch and is disgusted by it.
Mary encounters Haruhiro and Shihoru and quickly turns around to run away. She barely manages to keep herself upright while running. Haruhiro catches her and she brushes his hand off but decides to stop running, knowing she can't escape. Haruhiro asks her if she's been drinking. She retorts asking him if it's wrong, leaving him with few words to respond.
Mary says she wants to be left alone but Shihoru says that she can't leave her alone in her state. Mary tells them she didn't want to see them. Haruhiro tells her to come to the usual meeting place at eight in the morning tomorrow. Mary doesn't respond. She walks away from the two, heading back to her room, while Haruhiro yells after her that she has to keep moving forward.
The Priest class is skilled with the art of healing injuries in the midst of battle. However, this consumes a limited inner power of the priest. Such skills can only be cast or used for limited number of times. It is unknown how long exactly the priest need to rest in order to recover their power again.
- Smash: The most basic of Priests self defense skills. Allows a Priest to hit with a massive amount of force using their staff.
- Counter Strike (Hit Back): Allows a priest to absorb the momentum and force of a weapon’s attack by blocking and storing it. Then using that force for a follow up strike with their staff.
- Cure: A light spell that heals and binds small wounds but does not cause pain to fade.
- Heal: Unlike Cure, Heal doesn’t require the Priest to hold their hand close over the injury. It can be used to heal a wounded person from a distance, and is effective for injuries anywhere on the body.
- Guard Stance (Prepare): The priest uses their staff to greatly increase their defenses.
- Light of Judgement (Blame): An offensive spell that utilizes the God of Light Lumiaris’ power to punish their enemies. A spell only used by experienced priests that has a short range and does low damage, but causes the bodies of its targets to go numb and slows their movements for a short duration.
- Light of Protection (Protection): A support spell that enhances physical ability, resistance, and speeds up the body's natural healing process. It can be cast on up to six people and lasts for 30 minutes. The hexagon symbol of the God of Light floats over the recipients wrists for the duration of the spell. A noted effect is that the recipients of the spell feel lighter.
- Dispel: A spell that turns the undead reducing them to ash. Particularly necessary as conventional weapons cannot kill the undead, as even their severed limbs and heads remain animated. This spell must be used in short range.
- Purify: A pell that cures poison.
- Sacrament: The highest healing spell that can recover any kind of injury, though it cannot recover lost organs. Mary can only use the spell around two times per day in Volume 4.
- Assist: A single target support spell that stacks with Protection.
- Revenge: A self defense skill.
- Knock Off: A self defense skill.
- Circlet: A spell that generates a small ring of light that heals everyone within its radius.
- Blaze Cliff
- Bought a new staff that gave more attack power.
- Replaced her white priest robes with a deep blue colored robe. Found a new staff with a hammer on it.
- The staff with a head on it broke so Mary replaced it with a staff with a hammer on the end for more offensive power.
Cold to everyone in the team when she first joined, Haruhiro was the one who made the most attempts to get closer to her. She eventually warms up to the rest of the party and calls Haruhiro "Haru", the only person in the group to do so.
She respects Haruhiro as a leader and believes he's the reason for the party's success.
It becomes increasingly evident that Mary has feelings for Haruhiro in volume 9 and onward. Volume 10 ends with her saying to Haruhiro, "I ___ you", before she dies.
In Volume 11, she's revived, much to Haruhiro's delight.
She first meets Kuzaku during the raid at Deadhead Watching Keep as she heals his wounds. Kuzaku later saves Mary from being raped. Because she doesn't want anyone in Team Haruhiro learning about her drunken state and self destructive actions, this causes an awkward tension between them once he joins the party as the tank. Kuzaku and Mary are spotted talking alone at night by Haruhiro.
In Volume 6, Haruhiro watches in secret as Kuzaku drags Mary away by the hand while she looks down. In the rest of the volume, Kuzaku and Mary are seen, or noticed by Haruhiro, to be working off of each other (in conversation) more than anyone else.
In volume 7, Kuzaku reveals that he confessed to Mary but was rejected.
- Her name was changed to Merry in anime adaptation, to sound more like it is in Japanese.
- Her hair and clothes style are different in the Light Novel.
|Haruhiro's||Haruhiro, Mary, Yume, Shihoru, Kuzaku, Ranta?, Moguzo†, Manato†|
|Renji's||Renji, Ron Chibi, Sassa, Adachi|
|Tokkis||Tokimune, Inui, Tada, Mimori, Anna-san, Kikkawa|
|Souma's||Souma, Kemuri, Shima, Pingo, Lilia Sturm, Zenmai, Nino†|
|Typhoon Rocks||Rock, Kajita, Moyugi, Kurou, Sakanami, Tsuga|
|Team Akira||Akira, Branken, Gohho, Miho, Kayo, Tallow|
|Michiki's||Michiki†, Ogg†, Mutsumi†, Hayashi±, Mary±|
|Iron Knuckles||Max, Aidan|
|Wild Angels||Kajiko, Kikuno|
|Others||Hiyomu, Brittany, Choko†, Honen, Kimura, Kuzuoka, Yorozu, Undying King|