AppearanceMary is taller than Yume and Shihoru, has pale skin with navy blue hair and blue eyes. In battle, she wears the common Priest's outfit.
Her initial standoff behavior and her insistence to decide by herself when or not to heal injured party members has made her very unpopular with previous groups that she joined before Haruhiro's.
Later it is revealed that she was quite the contrary, being the cheerful and mood-maker of her first party. It is shown that the party was doing very well. Unfortunately being over-confident, the party dived too deep into an excursion and resulted in Mary running out of magical spells to heal her party members. The tragedy scarred her, leading to her questioning her own worth as a Priest.
After Manato's death, Mary joins the team as the priest. She's cold and, unlike Manato, refuses to heal some of the party's smaller wounds. She keeps her distance from the group ignoring their constant invitations.
Haruhiro and his team later learn why Mary doesn't immediately heal everyone. As the priest of another team back when she was starting out, Mary was much like Manato and kept her party confident. She smiled more often and healed every injury no matter how small. Because of her support, her team became overconfident and encountered a kobold called Deathspots while they were in the mines. Her magic ran out and she was dragged away by Hayashi, leaving her other three teammates for dead.
With their hunting grounds deemed too dangerous for now, Haruhiro brings up the topic of the mines where kobolds, dog-like monsters, roam. Mary still feels the pain of her failure there but decides to go along with the team.
As they hunt kobolds, they come across Death Spots, the kobold who wiped out three of Mary's team members.
When Haruhiro brings up the topic of the order, Mary is reluctant to make a choice. Haruhiro gives the group a day to decide. When the time for the vote comes, she, along with everyone else, is shocked by Haruhiro's decision to join the invasion but doesn't protest.
Team Haruhiro is assigned ladder duty along with Choko's party. During fights with orcs, she stands by Shihoru and protects her from harm.
The Priest class is skilled with the art of healing injuries in the midst of battle. However, this consumes a limited inner power of the priest. Such skills can only be cast or used for limited number of times. It is unknown how long exactly the priest need to rest in order to recover their power again.
- Smash: The most basic of Priests self defense skills. Allows a Priest to hit with a massive amount of force using their staff.
- Counter Strike (Hit Back): Allows a priest to absorb the momentum and force of a weapon’s attack by blocking and storing it. Then using that force for a follow up strike with their staff.
- Cure: A light spell that heals and binds small wounds but does not cause pain to fade.
- Heal: Unlike Cure, Heal doesn’t require the Priest to hold their hand close over the injury. It can be used to heal a wounded person from a distance, and is effective for injuries anywhere on the body.
- Guard Stance (Prepare): The priest uses their staff to greatly increase their defenses.
- Light of Judgement (Blame): An offensive spell that utilizes the God of Light Lumiaris’ power to punish their enemies. A spell only used by experienced priests that has a short range and does low damage, but causes the bodies of its targets to go numb and slows their movements for a short duration.
- Light of Protection (Protection): A support spell that enhances physical ability, resistance, and speeds up the body's natural healing process. It can be cast on up to six people and lasts for 30 minutes. The hexagon symbol of the God of Light floats over the recipients wrists for the duration of the spell. A noted effect is that the recipients of the spell feel lighter.
- Dispel: A spell that turns the undead reducing them to ash. Particularly necessary as conventional weapons cannot kill the undead, as even their severed limbs and heads remain animated. This spell must be used in short range.
- Purify: A pell that cures poison.
- Sacrament: The highest healing spell that can recover any kind of injury, though it cannot recover lost organs. Mary can only use the spell around two times per day in Volume 4.
- Assist: A single target support spell that stacks with Protection.
- Revenge: A self defense skill.
- Knock Off: A self defense skill.
- Bought a new staff that gave more attack power.
- Replaced her white priest robes with a deep blue colored robe. Found a new staff with a hammer on it.
- The staff with a head on it broke so Mary replaced it with a staff with a hammer on the end for more offensive power.
Cold to everyone in the team when she first joined, Haruhiro was the one who made the most attempts to get closer to her. She eventually warms up to the rest of the party and calls Haruhiro "Haru", the only person in the group to do so.
She respects Haruhiro as a leader and believes he's the reason for the party's success.
It becomes increasingly evident that Mary has feelings for Haruhiro in volume 9 and onward. Volume 10 ends with her saying to Haruhiro, "I ___ you", before she dies.
She first meets Kuzaku during the raid at Deadhead Watching Keep as she heals his wounds. Kuzaku later saves Mary from being raped. Because she doesn't want anyone in Team Haruhiro learning about her drunken state and self destructive actions, this causes an awkward tension between them once he joins the party as the tank. Kuzaku and Mary are spotted talking alone at night by Haruhiro.
In Volume 6, Haruhiro watches in secret as Kuzaku drags Mary away by the hand while she looks down. In the rest of the volume, Kuzaku and Mary are seen, or noticed by Haruhiro, to be working off of each other (in conversation) more than anyone else.
In volume 7, Kuzaku reveals that he confessed to Mary but was rejected.
- Her name was changed to Merry in anime adaptation, to sound more like it is in Japanese.
- Her hair and clothes style are different in the Light Novel.
|Haruhiro's||Haruhiro, Mary, Yume, Shihoru, Kuzaku, Ranta?, Moguzo†, Manato†|
|Renji's||Renji, Ron Chibi, Sassa, Adachi|
|Tokkis||Tokimune, Inui, Tada, Mimori, Anna-san, Kikkawa|
|Souma's||Souma, Kemuri, Shima, Pingo, Lilia Sturm, Zenmai, Nino†|
|Typhoon Rocks||Rock, Kajita, Moyugi, Kurou, Sakanami, Tsuga|
|Team Akira||Akira, Branken, Gohho, Miho, Kayo, Tallow|
|Michiki's||Michiki†, Ogg†, Mutsumi†, Hayashi±, Mary±|
|Iron Knuckles||Max, Aidan|
|Wild Angels||Kajiko, Kikuno|
|Others||Hiyomu, Brittany, Choko†, Honen, Kimura, Kuzuoka, Yorozu, Undying King|